Claim compensation for a local authority data breach

email address breaches can you claim for compensation

You can be eligible to make a claim for compensation if you’ve been the victim of a local authority data breach incident.

Whether it’s the council themselves, an outsourced agency, or perhaps a body like social services or a school who are under the control of your local authority, you may be able to bring a case. These types of claims re incredibly common and the impact for the victim can be severe. After all, local authorities hold personal, medical, financial and sometimes incredibly sensitive data about tens of thousands of people in some areas.

We can offer No Win, No Fee arrangements for victims of a local authority breach as well.

Can you make a local authority data breach claim?

You may be able to make a local authority data breach compensation case if your personal information has been leaked, hacked or exposed. If the responsibility of the incident lies with your local authority, they’re the organisation who you can make your case against.

From email leaks to information being sent to the wrong recipient by post, information security within the public secure is an ongoing concern. Together with medical data breaches, council claims are the most common type when it comes to individual legal cases.

Council social services are often at the centre of many breach incidents as well. We see news stories in the press all the time about breaches because of how common they are.

Who can claim?

We can help you if you’ve been the victim of a local authority data breach incident in England or Wales. Unfortunately, we’re unable to assist anyone in the rest of the UK and Northern Ireland due to jurisdictional differences.

If the nature of your information that has been exposed, and who it has been exposed to, has caused you to suffer distress, that’s what you can claim for. Distress for the loss of control of private and sensitive information can be severe, and the level of damages that you can claim is often linked to how personal and how much of your data is exposed.

The extent to which the information has also been exposed is generally factored into things as well.

How to make a claim for a local authority data breach

Starting your compensation claim as a victim of a local authority data breach is simple. We’re happy to offer you our initial advice on a free and no-obligation basis. We can normally tell you in minutes if we think you have a case, and then the choice as to whether you go ahead or not is completely yours.

If we can help you, we can offer you No Win, No Fee representation.

We’re usually open from 9am to 10pm on most weeknights, and we’re open 9am to 5pm on weekends as part of our commitment to be as available for you as possible.

IMPORTANT: advice on this page is intended to be up-to-date for the 'first published date'.

Request a Callback from our team!

Fill out our quick call back form below and we’ll contact you when you’re ready to talk to us.
All fields marked * are required.

Your privacy is extremely important to us. Information on how we handle your data is in our Privacy Policy.
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data.